The Association was first formed after the then Headmaster, Mr Greenfield called a meeting on 31st October 1928, to discuss an association for "sports and social activities". Mr Mockridge became the Association's first president, Alderman Herbert S Carter J.P. was one of the vice-presidents and Mr W H Froud was the honorary treasurer. In those early days tennis, cricket and hockey were played against the School, while a dramatic society put on plays and a social outing to Arne was organised.
A constitution was drawn up in 1930, and by 1931 activities had been expanded to include football, dancing, a reunion supper and a Christmas draw. The association flourished for a time, but began to decline during the War and the following years, even though separate football and cricket clubs continued to operate.
A central organisation was re-established in 1950, when the constitution was adopted. This constitution exists in a very similar form today. The annual reunion dinner was re-instigated in 1957 and has continued almost uninterrupted ever since. The venue for this event has varied over the years, being held in a variety of hotels throughout the borough. Currently it is held at the school and combines good food, beer and wine, excellent company and much reminiscing, with well supported guided tours round the school.
The purpose of the Association is "to provide facilities for past and present pupils and teaching staff of the School, and social activities for its members".
During its long history the Poole Old Grammarians Association has had many successes to its name. It has raised money to help provide the sports pavilion, opened in 1968, at the Gravel Hill site. It has provided a variety of social functions, including dinners, dances, barbecues, retirement parties and wine-tasting. It has organised countless sports matches against the School. The association was also instrumental in helping to move the War Memorial from the Seldown site to its present position in the grounds of St James Church and in saving many of the artefacts from the old buildings after their demolition. It has planted various trees around the school in memory of former members. It currently provides enough financial support to pay for the production costs of the Dolphin Magazine each year. Members receive the Dolphin and in addition, since 1983 members have also received the association's newsletter three times a year. Some members receive this as a hard copy by post, though increasing numbers are collecting it electronically. For many years the association also provided a handsome engraved trophy to the young man awarded the distinction of being the "Sportsman of the year" This trophy has now been replaced by a prize awarded at the school's annual prize-giving ceremony.
In 1990 the Association contributed to the establishment of the Poole Grammar School Trust Fund, thus helping to maximise the value of any funds held by the school by its acquiring charitable status.
In more recent years the Association has held an "Old Boys Day" when former pupils are invited back for lunch and a look around the school. Yet another addition in 2011 was a summer evening buffet held at the school, where members had an opportunity to bring their wife or girlfriend too. School Governors were also invited. This proved to be a most popular event and sure to become well established in the Association's calendar in future years just like the more formal reunion dinner which still continues to be held in the Spring Term each year.
February 2012 will see the official opening of the latest phase of development at the school, The Ashley Thorne Building. Although the cedar tree planted in memory of former headmaster Mr John Cleave became a casualty of this development when it had to be removed to make room for the building, his memory will live on in the theatre bearing his name within this building.
Nigel Paton, Secretary
Poole Old Grammarians' Association